The Cancer Registry
The Cancer Registry manages an information system designed for the collection, analysis and reporting of cancer-related data* on Baptist and Gulf Breeze Hospital patients.
- The Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), prepares an abstract on each patient from the patients’ medical record. Each patient is then followed for life to help assure that Baptist Hospital and Gulf Breeze cancer patients receive the follow-up care they need.
- Annually the registry is required to submit all analytic cases to the National Cancer Database in order to maintain accreditation as a Community Comprehensive Cancer Program, a designation by the American College of Surgeons. Analytic cases are those cases diagnosed and/or received all or part of their course of treatment at Baptist and Gulf Breeze hospitals.
- The Cancer Registry staff strives to maintain a 90 percent or higher follow-up rate. With the help of physicians, other cancer registries and cancer treatment centers in the area, our patients are followed annually.
- The staff keeps abreast of new trends in cancer diagnosis and treatment by attending cancer conferences as well as local, regional and national training programs. The staff members hold memberships in the National Cancer Registrars Association and the Florida Cancer Registrars Association.
* Cancer is a reportable disease in the state of Florida; therefore, all cases are reported to the Florida Cancer Data System (FCDS) as required by the Florida Department of Health. The type of data collected and reported includes demographics, diagnostic findings, cell type, stage of disease at diagnosis and treatment information.