RESOURCES FOR NEWS MEDIA
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEWS MEDIA DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
We value our relationship with the media and appreciate your efforts to convey accurate, up-to-date information about the COVID-19 pandemic to the public. As you might expect, the heightened interest in COVID-19 has greatly expanded the volume of media inquiries and requests we receive each day. While we are always eager to assist you in your reporting, the availability of our leaders and physicians is increasingly limited as their time and energy are devoted to the care of our patients and the preparations necessary for meeting the challenges COVID-19 presents to our local health care community.
With that in mind, we hope you will understand that our usual way of handling and fulfilling media inquiries has been adjusted until further notice.
- We may not be able to respond to your inquiries as quickly as usual, depending on the availability of the appropriate expert.
- Same-day interviews will rarely be possible.
- Because COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving matter, the answers to some inquiries can be quite complex. Providing an accurate, comprehensive answer may take time.
- To be placed on our media contact list, email us at email@example.com.
- As new information regarding Baptist Health Care’s response to COVID-19 becomes available, we will issue an update to our entire media contact list and with the Escambia County and Santa Rosa County Joint Information Centers.
- This website is regularly updated. All of our COVID-19 information is easily accessible from the home page of eBaptistHealthCare.org.
- Our social media channels are also regularly updated. We often recognize the outpouring of support we’re receiving from the community through these channels, which can be a source of ideas for inspiring feature stories.
- All interview requests must be made through the Baptist Health Care marketing department’s media team.
- Interviews must be conducted by telephone or virtually via Zoom or FaceTime. We cannot accommodate in-person interviews at this time.
- Depending on the topic, we may be able to provide photos or b-roll so that you have some visuals for your story.
- Live shots and b-roll must be shot from off-campus public sidewalks. A quick call to our media team to let us know you’ll be shooting will be greatly appreciated.
- Help us protect the privacy of patients and family members by not shooting video of people walking in and out of entrances.
RELEASE OF PATIENT INFORMATION
- Federal privacy regulations strictly govern whether and how health systems can share a patient’s personal health information.
- Baptist follows HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) guidelines.
PATIENT CONDITION INFORMATION
All requests for patient condition information should be made through the marketing department. The patient’s first and last name must be provided before a condition is reported. Per HIPAA guidelines, patient information is limited to a one-word condition.
- Undetermined – patient is awaiting physician assessment.
- Good – vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Fair – vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious – vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- Critical – vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
Our media lines are staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays, by the media team to respond to inquiries.
At this time, our visitation policy limits access to all visitors, including members of the media, at our facilities. Under normal circumstances, our guidelines for media visits are:
- All members of the media must be escorted by a member of the media team while on campus at any of our facility locations.
- The media escort will provide guidance and handle required legal paperwork. The reporter will be asked to sign a filming agreement prior to shooting photos or video.
- Media visits must be requested in advance.
Baptist Health Care Public Relations Specialist
- Baptist Health Care
- Baptist Medical Group
- Baptist Medical Park – Airport
- Baptist Medical Park – Navarre
- Baptist Medical Park – Nine Mile
- Baptist Medical Park – Pace
- Gulf Breeze Hospital
- Jay Hospital
Andrews Institute Marketing Manager
- Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine