Services and Treatment
Comprehensive Wound Care
A comprehensive wound care center provides care to those suffering from chronic wounds in a way no other provider can. Some wounds require advanced dressings or extensive treatments that are difficult to provide in a private office setting. Advanced wound care promotes faster healing and reduces treatment time.
Wound management includes:
- Biologic skin substitutes
- Compression therapy
- Coordination of dietary and diabetes education services
- Off-loading (taking pressure off the wound
- Sharp debridement (removal of dead tissue
- Specialty dressings that promote healing and limit the potential for infection
- Diabetic foot management
- Edema management
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO)
- Topical prescription for infection
- Topical prescription medications
- Vascular studies
- Wound care education
Our center is staffed by a team of experienced wound care specialists who will customize the most effective treatment plan to stimulate healing, returning you to your life as quickly as possible.
Advanced Dressings, Applied by the Experts
Some wounds require advanced dressings that are difficult to provide in a private office setting. The choice of dressing can impact healing – having the right dressing for the wound, properly applied can make all the difference. Our physicians and nurses have had advanced wound care training and receive ongoing education in the fast-evolving field of specialized wound dressings. But it’s their everyday experience caring for complex wounds that sets them apart.
What to Expect
The course of treatment depends on what type of wound you have. During your first visit, our staff of physicians and nurses will evaluate your wound and review your medical history. You may also need special tests that give us information about circulation to the wound. This will then help to determine what course of treatment you will need.
Treatments may include:
- Tests of circulation
- Antibiotic therapy
- Pressure relieving devices
- Special dressings
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO)
- Lab work
- Nutritional counseling
- Education on wound prevention
Our treatment plans are designed to complement the care your own physician provides, ensuring that your health care team is always working together to provide the treatment that’s right for you. Most treatments are covered by Medicare/Medicaid, HMOs and other private insurance plans. Some things you can do to assist with your healing:
- Care for your wound at home as directed by your health care provider
- Eat a healthy diet
- Rest according to your health care provider’s instructions
- Take medication as ordered
- Stop smoking
- Return for your follow-up appointments
Once a treatment plan has been prescribed, you will visit Baptist Wound Care on a regular basis for specialized treatments and documentation of your healing progress. Keeping appointments and following directions are critical to attaining a positive healing outcome.
Commitment to and compliance with your plan of care is the single most important factor in your healing.
Always call your wound care doctor if you notice any of the following:
- Increasing redness around the wound
- Warm or red skin
- A red streak spreading from the wound
- An increase in wound drainage
For more information about wound care management and hyperbaric medicine, call 850.434.4479.